Mental Health Intake

If you are experiencing a mental health emergency or suicidal thoughts and live anywhere in Dauphin County Pennsylvania, call Crisis Intervention at 1-888-596-4447 to speak to someone immediately.
There IS help. There IS hope.

I feel like I need help. Where do I start?

You’ve come to the right place. We are here to help.
Everyone starts their journey to recovery with a Mental Health Intake. During the process, you will meet with one of our friendly, professional Intake Case Managers (CM). The CM will talk with you and gather important information about your strengths and needs to develop a plan to move forward. The entire process is done in a confidential, private setting.
During the intake, we will gather basic demographic and personal information to help determine eligibility for services. We will also conduct a crisis assessment to be sure that any immediate needs are met. Remember, an intake is free of charge and available to any resident of Dauphin County.

How do I get an Intake?

You have two options for Mental Health Intakes.
If our main offices at 1100 S. Cameron Street in Harrisburg are convenient for you, Intakes are performed Monday thru Thursday from 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Due to COVID-19, we are asking that you schedule an intake by calling our office at 717-232-8761. We do accept emergency walk-in appointments for individuals in immediate need, please note that there may be a wait for your Intake if you walk-in. If interpretation services are required for the Intake, please call ahead to schedule an appointment.

If you live in Northern Dauphin County, you may schedule an Intake at our offices located in the Northern Dauphin County Human Services Building at 295 State Drive in Elizabethville by calling 717-362-1212. All intakes at the Elizabethville offices must be scheduled in advance.
If you are unable to get to a CMU office during normal business hours, please call us a 717-232-8761 to ask about special arrangements.

Do I need to bring anything to my Intake?

In order to complete a Liability determination during your Intake, we will need some information regarding your ability to pay for services. Click here for a list of things you should bring with you.

What happens after my Intake?

Following your Intake, either a Blended or Administrative Case Manager (CM) will be assigned to you. This Case Manager will begin working with you on your path to recovery. You may be referred to one or more outside services depending on your needs, and your Case Manager will help you to coordinate those services.